Recycling has been mandatory in the Marshall County Landfill Service Area by the ordinance of all towns and in the rural area, since 1995.
When you recycle you save on landfill space, energy, our natural resources, and you help keep our water and air clean. Recycling also creates jobs right here in Iowa.
Acceptable Items for Recycling
#1 & #2 Plastic Food & Beverage Containers
Plastics are recycled into carpet, polyester clothing, lumber, and more.
- Rinse the container
- Leave labels on
- Remove the lids & rings, put in trash.
- Empty plastics that contained motor oil or hazardous kinds of oil go in the trash.
Clear Glass Food Containers
Glass is recycled into glass containers, road bed aggregate, floor tile, and more. Plastics are recycled into carpet, polyester clothing, lumber, and more.
- Rinse clean -Leave labels on
- Lids, rings, and broken glass go in the trash.
Paper gets recycled into new paper products and other useful paper items.
- Newspapers & items with the newspapers, magazines, catalogs, phone books, and junk mail should be put into a clean plastic grocery type bag/sack.
- Put soiled paper in the trash.
Tin cans get recycled into new tin cans and other items made with steel.
- Rinse clean and remove labels
- Toss any loose lids into the trash
- Return aluminum pop and beer cans for a deposit.
Corrugated Cardboard and Paperboard
New cardboard, fuel pellets, insulation, and other paper created from recycled cardboard and paperboard.
- Must be clean and flattened.
- Wax coated, soiled cardboard or paperboard put in the trash—ex. Pizza boxes.
Recycling Drop Off Center
12th Street Recycling
1003 South 12th Street Marshalltown, IA 50158
Tue, Thurs, Fri 1:00-4:00pm
Solid Waste and Recycling Companies
| Business Name|| Phone Number|
| Al’s Enterprise|| 515-520-7537|
| Area Sanitation|| 641-752-8900|
| Ferch Sanitation & Recycling|| 641-473-2396|
| Jerry’s Sanitation|| 641-487-7288|
| LeGrand Sanitation|| 641-479-2615|
| Moler Sanitation|| 641-366-2575|
| Stone Sanitation|| 641-752-7165|
The landfill does not accept any trees, branches, leaves, or yard and garden waste for disposal. These items can go to the City of Marshalltown Compost Facility at 900 Woodland Street. Phone number is (641) 754-5745 (at the facility). If no answer, call 641-754-5734.
You can compost at home and use it on your garden and flower beds. Wood chip mulch is good for new trees, bushes and flowers to hold the moisture and to protect them.