3Rs Action Plan

Use Local Programs
For a 3Rs Action Plan

Interested in learning how to dispose or recycle items in your home or office? Search for common objects in the list below to learn where it should go.

Battery recycling or proper disposal

(Identify the battery type)
  • Lead acid (car type) batteries can go to the landfill recycling area at no charge.
Or check with the retailer where you purchase a new battery for recycling the old battery.
  • Rechargeable and nickel or quarter sized button batteries need to be collected as Household Hazardous Material. Take them to a collection event, call the Marshall County Landfill for a free appointment to dispose of the batteries at their satellite location. Button batteries that are smaller than a nickel can be disposed of in the garbage. 
  • Alkaline or regular duty batteries can be disposed of in the garbage.

Computer Recycling:

  • Check to see if the equipment can be repaired or upgraded for reuse.
  • Some manufactures take equipment for a trade-in when something new is purchased.
  • Goodwill takes computers for recycling. 

Gardening Supplies:

  • Ask a garden center if they recycle containers and trays.
  • Produce vendors at a farmers market or a Master Gardener can reuse containers.
  • If you have leftover pesticides or fertilizer contact the Marshall County Landfill for a Household Hazardous Waste Appointment to properly dispose of these chemicals. 

Books to share:

  • Some consignment shops take books.
  • Donate books to Goodwill, House of Compassion, Salvation Army, and other community groups.
  • Ask care facilities and day care centers if they need books and magazines.
  • Check for value of old books with an antique dealer/store.
  • Books in bad shape recycle at Goodwill.

Clothing to reuse or recycle:

  • There are several consignment shops that take wearable clothing to sell.
  • Wearable clothing can be donated to Goodwill, Salvation Army, and to some churches.
  • Stained and torn clothing can still be recycled through the Salvation Army or Goodwill, they are baled and turned into rags and other useful material.

Energy Star label:

  • Watch for the Energy Star label on appliances and electronics. This label identifies the product will use less energy and save on the environment.

Flower vases for reuse:

  • Some floral shops will take back vases to reuse.
  • Donate vases to Salvation Army and Goodwill, and some churches reuse flower vases.

Furniture in good shape:

  • Check with auction centers, consignment shops, Goodwill, and Salvation Army.
  • Advertise furniture at a garage sale or through an online service.

Latex Paint disposal:

  • Give unused latex paint to a friend or a non-profit group (ex. housing projects, school, art program, or church group project).
  • Mix light colors together to use as a primer.
  • Completely dried and hardened latex paint can go in the trash with the paint lid left off.

Drying processes: 

  • Dry small quantities of latex paint with the lid removed, in a well ventilated area.
  • Dry large quantities of latex paint by pouring it in layers in a cardboard box/lid lined with plastic or newspaper OR you can stir kitty litter, floor compound, or saw dust  into the latex paint.  Once the paint is fully absorbed and hardened it is ready for the trash with the lid off.

Oil Based Paint/Aerosol Paint disposal:

  • Give unused paint to a friend or a non-profit group (ex. housing projects, school, art program, or church group project).
  • Schedule an appointment with the Marshall County Landfill Hazardous Waste for proper disposal 641-752-0646.

Ink and Toner Cartridges for reuse:

  • Ask the business where you buy your cartridges if they take the used cartridges back. Some businesses will give you credit to use in their store.
  • Ink cartridges can be refilled and reused.
  • Schools can return cartridges for money or credit for school supplies through special programs.

Light bulb use:

  • Changing light bulbs one at a time to CFLs (Compact Fluorescent bulbs) or LEDs (Light-Emitting Diode) will consume less electricity. These types replace  incandescent bulbs.
  • CFLs need to be discarded as household hazardous materials, because they contain mercury. Take CFL’s to a collection event or call the Marshall County Landfill for an appointment to dispose of them at no charge 641-752-0646.

Plastic shopping bag use:

  • Reuse plastic shopping bags for a variety of household projects. Ex. Sorting items for recycling, storing out of season shoes/boots/etc., use for craft projects, and many other tasks.
  • Place plastic bags in a recycling barrel at a local store like Fareway, Hy-Vee, and others.
  • Use a cloth bag in the place of plastic bags when shopping.

Pop cans and bottles for refund:

  • The Marshalltown Redemption Center will pay for the redeemable beverage cans and bottles.
  • Check the location where you buy these products to see if they will take back cans and bottles.

Prescription drug disposal:

  • Check with your pharmacy for a drug “TakeBack” program for safe disposal.
  • Dump old or unused prescriptions in the garbage (or dump in kitty litter or coffee grounds).
DO NOT flush prescriptions down the toilet.


  • Residents of Marshall County can put televisions in the landfill (check with a hauler for pickup). Salvation Army take working TVs if space allows. 

Yard and garden waste disposal:

  • Marshalltown Compost Facility at 900 Woodland Street will take trees, branches, leaves, and garden waste.
  • For disposal rates/hours of operation call 641-754-5745 (facility) or www.ci.marshalltown.ia.us
  • Compost, mulch, and firewood can also be purchased at the Marshalltown Compost Facility.
NOTE: The landfill does not accept any trees, branches, leaves, yard or garden waste.

School collections:

  • Check with any school for a list of items they may collect to earn money for their school.

Unwanted mail service:

  • Get rid of unwanted mail by contacting DMAchoice, Direct Marketing Association, P.O. Box 643, Carmel, NY 10512 or www.dmachoice.org
  • Unwanted mail can be returned in the postage paid envelope provided, with a note to remove your name.

Wire hangers that are extra:

  • Check with consignment or donation shops if they can use extra hangers.
  • Include them with disposal of scrap metal at the landfill or a salvage yard.
  • Goodwill, Salvation Army, and cleaners take hangers for reuse and recycling.